Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Can’t Run From It

In September, I tried to extricate myself from "That Gay Girl Tamara". Not because I was uncomfortable with my sexuality, but because I felt trapped in the "brand". Is that all I am: a black Christian lesbian with a very conservative mother? Certainly not.

But as I tried to switch gears for "Just Tamara"—trying to create an authentic representative of my total self—the more "gay" I felt.

My life revolves around my loves: the love of my life happens to be at the top of the list.

She is a part of me. The blog originally started because I was outing myself. Since I spent the most time without her in the last year, she is evenmoreso. (I guess space does make the heart grow fonder.) My other loves: fashion, books, food, décor, travel, etc. fit into my life quite nicely. However, my identity as a young, Black American, lesbian isn't going anywhere. So I might as well embrace it. Even in my writings, I have grappled with whether or not I want to write for an lgbt or mainstream audience. (I don't think I have to choose, the story will dictate its path.)

However, I don't care to put myself in little boxes any longer.

Currently, all of the posts have been merged into both sites: Just Tamara and TGGT. I know some people made the transition while others did not…and that's okay. I will be posting blogs on both sites. They will probably be identical. I figure if you are at work and don't want to be ousted…go to the JT page and if you don't care either way- TGGT is for you.

I thank you for your time, comments, and support. I truly have enjoyed sharing my life with you.

4 comments:

  1. i'm glad you are back to blogging. i look forward to reading what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see you black blogging but, I also totally understand this post. My sexuality isn't who I am and it doesn't make it me but, it is also a huge part of who I am. I think all people who are a part of the LGBT community deal with these feelings at certain points of our lives...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to follow your old blog "That Gay Girl Tamara" and then I lost you...glad to have run across your new blog. I totally understand not wanting to define yourself by your sexuality--we are so much more than that. Either way, I'm glad to have found your blog again. Look forward to reading more.

    ~AquariusSoul~
    http://aquariussoul.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. and i love reading your blogs! i feel the same way about my life in general. yes i'm gay, but i am so much more.

    i don't think we have to choose, that is...be more gay than whatever else. just write and who you are will manifest. i love chocolate and the color pink and so happen to be a lesbian. that's me, that's my life. labels are not needed...thats my two cents!

    ReplyDelete