Monday, January 5, 2009

Lesbian Rags

I love Barnes & Noble. I can spend hours upon hours there. Now when I go into the book store, I make a bee line to the magazines then to the "Gay & Lesbian Literature". I usually pick up a good mystery or two then to the cafe to see if any of what I just picked up was worth purchasing. I remember when I used to go to B&N, I would pretend like I was looking at the "Women's Studies" or "Native American" section as I snuck a peak over at the LGBT section. I always get a kick out of it when I see younger teens doing the same thing. I sometimes want to go up and talk to them. But I don't. When I was in there today, I was really shocked to see a few African-American themed LGBT books in the Fiction section. That was a shock and a first for me.

But lately, I have grown an affinity to Borders. They carry Jane & Jane which someone wrote was a good website which I need to go check out. I also saw another new lesbian magazine called Crave. Does anyone know if Girlfriends Magazine is still around? I need to check them out too. It was my first lesbian purchase. I bought another magazine just so I could hide it. I remember my heart beating really fast. LOL...Oh how much I have changed. Of course they have Curve magazine but I am just seeing a wider variety of books that is looking very appealing. I bought my first lesbian magazine there so I don't know why I am surprised. I just wish they were open later. Here, B&N closes at 11 and Border closes at 10. That hour is the crucial thing for me. I don't even start putting my stuff up or checking out until 10:55. LOL. Then Border's has music and movies to peruse too.

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to check out those magazines. I already read curve. While I was in NY I picked up this lesbian magazine called Go at this club. I really like it. You may want to check it out if you ever run across it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a Borders fan...there are more in my area and the closer to me than B and N.

    i do the same thing in the LGBT section...pretend like i am looking at womens studies...one day i wont do that anymore.

    jane and jane is a magazine which i learned about online, but i haven't seen it carried in any of the stores i visit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really make trips to Borders or B&N unless I'm in the airport. So unfortunately I can't speak on rather I hide in other sections but, I will say on my way coming back home from NY I sat and read Curve and that other magazine I mentioned. I didn't try to hide the mag at all. I'll be honest I was expecting to get a few looks since curve has on their cover the top lesbian selling magazine or something of that sort. I didn't or either I was too into the articles to notice. Anywho, it felt good to not try to hide. Now only if I could do that at home.....What's crazy is I don't care if ppl figure out or realize my sexuality in public it's just @ home where I worry. That's crazy that you can't really be yourself @ home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not trying to mention any names, but someone just didn't look right on the cover of Jane and Jane. But I digress. I love going to Barnes and Noble and Borders. It's funny how the selections vary at each store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I'm a Borders fan. I find that they usually have more books, and their deals are better. :)

    I'm not really sure about any magazines. I usually just read my usual scrapbooking mags, haha! :)

    -sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna try Curve and the others... I've never read a lesbian mag before...

    ReplyDelete