Monday, January 19, 2009

"Fake" Name My Ass

So today, I was looking at a magazine and I came across an article about black women on the down low. One of the interviewees reminded me of a girl from college. Now we weren't friends by any means. There was a situation that impeded a possible friendship. I believe this article was talking about her, eventhough it said it wasn't her real name. Bull!

There are several clues that lead me to believe that is indeed her; the psychologist and amateur FBI profiler in me says it's her. And frankly, I was pissed. But why was I pissed?

As I looked back on my undergraduate years, I thought about our encounters. I thought about how the first few years, I really did care about fitting in and acting the proper way. I've always been a good girl to the average person, but I've done my share of dirt. However, this particular person used her perception of a situation I was involved in and tried to tarnish my good reputation.

I felt under constant judgement from her and her friends. I did things that I didn't necessarily need to do, just so I could feel justified in previous actions. I know this is kinda vague...but essentially, I cared what this chick thought of me so much, that I did stuff...I guess..in a way to win her approval.

So essentially, I am pissed at myself. Pissed that I gave her that much control in my life. But glad, that I'm a big girl now and can learn from my mistakes and be honest with myself. I am even more committed now to watch what I say to others, about others.

3 comments:

  1. I read somewhere a quote, " What other people think of me isn't my business." It can be hard but, I think we all need to live by that quote. Life would be much easier. Anywho, it's good you're above and beyond that situation now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it just me, but is there more to this story? a part 2 perhaps?!

    but i think we all have experienced trying to win over someones approval at some point in our lifes. whether it be a family member or someone else. so i can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is plenty more, I just don't have the time or energy to think about it right now...But be rest assured, I will dish...soon.

    ReplyDelete