Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pride Events

Hello friends,

This weekend is Pride2008 in Durham. I have gone before, but not this weekend--it's rainy, wet, blah! I just want to stay inside curled up with a good book next to my boo, drinking hot chocolate or tea. lol.

If you have never been to a pride event I must implore you to go to at least one!!!!Even if you are straight, I believe you will have a good time. They are all different! I have attended Durham's pride and Charlotte NC Black Gay Pride, and that's it. Now I could compare the two, but honestly there's no comparison!

People sometimes say, why do you have to have a black pride, isn't it perpetuating the differences between the two races? I say, it's not about race, it's about culture. The one thing I can say about going to the black pride is that I really enjoyed it when they had a movie festival (some of the best african-american lgbt short films around), poetry reading (my friend wanted to throw her hat it was so good), a fierce fashion show (that same friend had models flirting with her all night), and Angela Harvey telling it like it is! I met Laurinda Brown before her books were filling up space on Barnes and Noble bookshelves. I met a lot of people, danced my ass off, and kept a few people from trying to go home with my girl(that old lady).

The feeling of belonging, comfort, fun, joy, happiness, and seeing people like yourself was amazing. Now everyone is different, so you may feel a little uneasy at first, but everyone there is gay or gay friendly! You aren't going to be hurled out on the street if you aren't rocking a fitted baseball cap and timberland boots (LOL). Everyone is not dressed like that. You had a variety of crowds (gay boi's, strippers, artists, writers, mortgage brokers, social justice non-profits, hair stylists, make-up artists, health professionals, crafters, and so much more.) I had my most recent HIV test there. It was so easy and quick. (Get tested!) I am just remembering all of the fun times I had at Pride. I may not make it this year, but I want you to enjoy yourself. Stop reading this. Get out there and enjoy life.

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous. I have yet to attend a Black Gay Pride or any Pride event as a matter of fact. In the past, I saw going to pride as a tremendous affirmation of being "GAY and Proud", and in my youth, I was certain that I was gay yet uncertain in my "pride". It has always been far easier for me to say,"I'm BLACK AND I'M PROUD!".At 22, I am proud to now be able to say that I am a proud, gay black man because of your strong influence** and now I'm just waiting for the right PRIDE at the right time, with the right people***Love the blog, keep up the Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete