Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lesbians & Media

I have been watching a lot of TV lately.I love Law & Order: Criminal Intent. I have noticed a few commonalities in the lesbians they portray; they are manipulative, certifiably insane, homicidal or all 3. It's weird. I hadn't really noticed it before.

Then today, I was listening to Judge Karen (I was supposed to be working). And these two gay guys were on there arguing about a computer. Apparently they were married/residents of Massachusetts so of course it was considered marital property. Apparently, they got married because one had a felony charge against him and the other would have testified against him if they had not gotten married.

To say the least, I was dissapointed in their behavior. So many people want to get married, and they simply can't. I guess that's how some single women feel about married women. When you want a relationship you say all of the things you wouldn't do, but when you get it, how do you behave? But that's another post for another day.

Then there is this perception that lesbians are easy, have no problem co-habitating, and don't mind wild sex orgies. And then on the other hand, lesbians are portrayed as so desperate to have a baby, that they will do anything to get pregnant. Lest I forget about this club girl complex--I'm a lesbian after a few drinks.

Where is the middle ground? I guess average is not exciting to mainstream media. That is so irritating. I am nothing like that, but in the media, the portrayal is so abhorrent. Is that even the right word? I don't know...but I'm done with this rant. What are you all watching on television that portrays all types of lesbians? At least a variety, besides The L Word? All suggestions welcome!

9 comments:

  1. i had commented on another blog that when a woman or minority does something it is said that that reflects on the larger group, but when i white male does something, its just that particular person.

    tv loves drama, so of course they are going to go all out in their portrayal of anyone.

    really, what we need is more diversity across the board..then it really wouldn't matter what every gay/lesbian character is portrayed as because as with everyone else, everyone is different.

    if i make a sweeping assumption on an entire group of people based off of one person (or worse, what I see on TV) then shame on me.

    i am watching indie films and on the lookout out for up and coming shows and filmakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TGGT- Always making changes. I love it!

    I'm a big Law and Order fan too...I don't think I've ever seen a show, besides a show designed for us

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true, yet so unfortunate. I will be on the lookout for indie film makers as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamara,

    I can comment again! Yea!

    It's hard to find honest portrayals of lesbians in the media, especially lesbians of color. I can recommend a few films though;

    Fire by Deepa Mehta
    When Night Is Falling by Patricia Rozema
    The Aggressives - this is a documentary
    Saving Face starring Joan Chen
    Black Aura on an Angel

    I've seen all of these films and they are all good. You can check the reviews at Amazon or somewhere else to see which you might like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did see Black Aura on an Angel. They did a screening with the filmmaker at Charlotte NC Black Gay Pride. It was really good. I should probably go ahead and try to add that to my collection. I enjoyed The Agressives as well.

    In February, Showtime usually runs a Black Filmmaker Showcase. They turn out some great short films. I guess, I will put independent artists near the top of my to do list this year.

    I have a few movies, but nothing new. I agree with Tami that diversity is needed across the board. So, I will take my own advice and focus on the positive; the independent filmmakers. Hopefully, this will allow the doors to open for new artists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What we need to have is a television show or at least a talkshow by lesbians for lesbians. I thought about having a radioshow or podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay!!! for a lesbian talk show!! afterellen has cherrybomb. anyone ever watched?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why we have to make our own films so we tell our own stories and be depicted the way we want to be.

    ReplyDelete