Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm gonna be one less...

Have you heard that stupid commercial for Gardasil? I will go ahead and tell you that I hate it. I have a certain piece of disdain for this drug. Everything in my being says that it should be taken off the market. Ever since that first commercial 2years ago, I have been uneasy. I actually lost out on a job offer because I said I wouldn't advocate for the drug. The person I was interviewing with just happened to be the friend of the lead researcher. Go figure.

That notion that I'm gonna be one less if I just spend $100's of dollars and let you inject me with some experimental drug (I don't care that they claim to have tested it for 10-20 years)so I can be vaccinated from 3 or 4 strains of HPV that may or may not cause cervical cancer irritates the hell out of me.

The makers still expect you to go to a doctor to get checked for a disease that you supposedly got vaccinated for. Why? Because the vaccine doesn't really vaccinate you from the entire disease, just certain strains and nothing is 100% effective.

And finally, the biggest kicker is that cervical cancer is not the biggest cancer killer anymore. Why? Because women are going to get pap smears which finds the pre-cancerous cells early. This just doesn't make sense! This shot just seems like a waste of money? Furthermore, it's only recommended for 9-26 year olds. If 9 year olds aren't getting pap smears, why are they getting a vaccine?

Naw...I think I will be one less person participating in a class action law suit in 20 years. Can't you hear the commercial: Did you or any of your family members get vaccinated with Gardasil? Did you have x, y, and z complications? Call now-- you may be entitled to a portion of the settlement. Hurry, time is running out. 1-800- lawyers r us. There are already complaints and recommendations to pull this drug off the market.

I hope you all will be one less...and help your daughters...neices...cousins...and sisters be one less too.

5 comments:

  1. I read about people getting sick because of it. I think they need to do more testing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually had it and honestly I was very skeptical of it. The only reason that I got it is because my mom was so paranoid and telling me since I have the insurance why not take advantage. Each session that I went for I wondered is this shit really gonna help...

    Alix, I didn't get sick from it but, I will say this is one of the most painful shots I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara,

    The whole Gardasil thing is just a huge money grab by the drug industry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're right, but how shitty would it feel to get cervical cancer 30 years from now and know that it could have been prevented with a measly 100 dollar shot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, 30 years from now if you get cervical cancer you should not be thinking about this shot. You should be hoping that your doctors were doing there due diligence when you went and got your pap smears every year! You should be hoping that you partook of a healthy diet that supported a happy immune system. You should not be putting your hopes on man-made drugs that have proven to be just as unpredictable as the disease it is supposed to cure.

    ReplyDelete