Monday, April 27, 2009

Reflections

For the most part, I was spoiled rotten. I literally got almost everything I wanted growing up. They usually tried to show me affection with stuff they "bought" or "gave" me. Whenever I got in arguments with folk in my family, whatever was given to me was usually thrown in my face. "I bought you..." or "I made you..." Ugh.
Some stuff I didn't get because "we were fortunate". Other stuff I didn't get because it wasn't "proper". Other stuff, they just looked at me like "Whatever".

Like, I wanted this game - Trouble. When I went to the doctors office, I always played it. One Christmas, my uncle brought it home and had me wrap it up. I just knew it was for me. Christmas morning, I opened a pack of socks. Apparently, the Trouble game was for this girl at church who was "less fortunate" than we were. I didn't talk to her much after that-- I know. I said I was rotten. I couldn't have played it anyway- I am an only child.

Another time, I wanted a Chemistry set. Instead, I got a bicycle and typewriter. I was appreciative of both. I mean goodness, I can type my arse off and I love riding bikes. But I never got that Chemistry set-no matter how many times I circled it in the Big Wish Book. It wasn't a "girl" toy.

Once I got to high school, I wanted a car real bad. They just looked at me like - whatever girl. Since I rode the bus. I spent the better part of high school, figuring out ways to not ride the bus. LOL. From missing the bus in the morning, to participating in extracurricular activites after school...I tell you I probably rode the bus a full school year-in 4 years.

Now that I'm all grown up. Those same tricks of "buy me this to show me love" don't work. Now I need more than financial gain to feel appreciated, loved, and cared for. Oh, how I've grown up.

6 comments:

  1. Quality time is so much more important than material things for me. I have so many memories of my grandfather and the time we shared. That's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alix. Quality time and support is much more important than material stuff. What I remember most about my childhood was my mom being very supportive and loving. Those toys and stuff she got me are secondary. Most of that stuff we 4get about anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always wanted a barbie doll house. barbie had a corvette, hot clothes and shoes but no house. i had to make a house out of 2 brown boxes...yup, Barbie lived in the projects. lol.

    we used to get those Sears and JCPenny books and every year i circled, tabbed and dog eared that house. even pointed out how it was cheaper if you bought it before a certain time. i got everything else but no house...i think im scarred.

    quality time is key as Alix and Glennisha mentioned. i like to play boardgames w/ our kids...they love it. i may need to go to Target and purchase Trouble... I think my son might like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I still want stuff but saying "I Love You" is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's whats up chick! I'm pretty spoiled myself...in a bad way...20 never had job

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. It's true that love cannot be bought. I had somewhat similar experiences as a child, and I'm glad that as an adult, I don't feel like people can buy my love.

    ReplyDelete