Saturday, December 6, 2008

LGBT Blogger Conference Day 1

I am in DC at the National LGBT Blogger & Citizen Journalist Initiative. It is an orgy of sorts. All of these LGBT people descending on the nations capital is a pure site...I have met a lot of great people and hopefully, we will keep in touch. I must preface this by saying, I didn't go in with any expectations. I just wanted to see what it was about, how I could become apart of something bigger, learn best practices etc.

What I Learned (so far):

As one of 3 black lesbians in the room; race is an issue. Someone here said, "You have to brand yourself. If you don't do the branding, other people will do the branding for you." I know this a very diverse audience and I just have to let you know, what you aren't saying about yourself, others are willing to make up and push it along.

The stereotypes that float throughout the country do not fall on deaf ears. At one of the sessions, a young woman brought up that she believed the black vote is what put prop 8 over and that the LGBT community needed to "educate" african-americans about the issues. I will just let that resonate with you. And know that comment did not go un-checked. It is time for us to get in the game....for real.

MILK
So last night I got to see the movie that is sweeping the nation. The acting was phenomenal. Sean Penn was to Harvey Milk as Denzel Washington was to Malcolm X. I will be honest and say, I didn't want to see the movie. I thought, let me go find out more about Harvey Milk. All I really knew was that he was gay, an activist, and a politician. I didn't know anything else about him. The movie was 2 hours long. For a better part of the movie, I was unaffected. I didn't see me or people like me, basically, I couldn't relate. Grant it, he was gay, but the similarities pretty much ended there. Even being an out lesbian, I have not had to endure all that Harvey Milk or the other men have to endure. Really, being gay, in my mind is a male thing--that's even how it was portrayed in the movie. You saw a few women and people of color, but it was not the regular.

I'm gay, but I'm not gay. Does this make sense? The discourse surrounding homosexuality, the gay lifestyle, and gay marriage is overwhelmingly male and white. The black discourse around homosexuality is male and "downlow". Am I missing something? Sometimes I have felt like I don't fit into the broader gay community. This is totally off topic from where the post was supposed to go, but I gotta go where the writing takes me. I think part of this comes from the stereotypes about the community, that make some of us say, "no, that's not me". Say what you will on the topic, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Anyway, Harvey Milk was the first and only lgbt elected official to be assassinated *knock on wood. Now this heartwrenching experience did resonate with me. Harvey Milk was resilient, tenacious, and for the people. Much like some other activists he knew he was doing what he had to do, and it was for the people, by any means necessary. I admire him for that. His work literally helped California be the mecca that it is today. I wanted to move there for the scenery, but when I found out about the protections LGBT people had in the workplace, it definitely made it more appealing.

But that is how I came out of yesterday's session feeling...I will post the rest tomorrow or later this week. ciao.

4 comments:

  1. We as african american members of the LGBT community have a lot of work to do. Time for discussion then action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ladybug. I remember seeing the previews for the movie and saying I wanted to see it. I didn't know that it was out yet. I guess I'll check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. That must be such an honor to attend something like that. I bet it is an experience, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ladybug: yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Although there are black lgbt folk engaging in the conversation, it is not enough of us and it isn't fair for our brothers and sisters to be bearing this on their shoulders. We are here. We can become informed and involved.

    glennisha: the movie is out, I know it opened in 3 theaters first, then in 90. It isn't showing here. But if you have the opportunity, definitely go see it.

    briannethegreat: it was definitely an honor that has forever changed my life. I can no longer just sit by and look/gawk/or complain about what my mom is doing. It is time for me to put in some work as well.

    ReplyDelete