Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Superstitions

As you get ready to bring the New Year in, here are a few old wives tales and superstitions that my family reminds me of every year.

1. Don't wash clothes or clean up on New Years Day. If you do, you will clean/wash someone right out of the family.

2. A man is supposed to be the first one to come in your house on New Years Day. But I don't know why. Silly asses.

3. Eat greens or a green vegetable for money.

4. Eat black eye peas for luck.

5. Eat pork for health. Does that even make sense?

6. Whatever you are doing when midnight strikes, you will be doing for the rest of the year. That's why my family went to church and we would be praying as the new year rang in.

7. If you live in an urban area, stay away from the windows. Some people like to shoot off guns at midnight. Don't want to get hit by a stray bullet.

8. You aren't supposed to sweep out your door. Put it in a dustpan/paper/and throw it in the trash. I think that was supposed to sweep someone out the family too or they would go to jail or something.

And those are the ones I really remember. A few were thrown in from my girlfriend, but my family told me those too. Whatever you decide to do. I hope you enjoy your evening. Happy New Year.

7 comments:

  1. i thought cleaning up was a good thing...like "if you go in the new year messy you'll be messY'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you just have to do it before the New Year...not on New Years Day. I did all my laundry and cleaning up on Tuesday and Wednesday. Today I am just relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm going to be doing what I was doing at midnight, then I'm in trouble. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah my family swears by the trinity of New Year's food and that man coming into the home on New Year's Day. What's up with that? What if you don't know any man?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard these all my life, but I'm not superstitious. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew why ppl cooked black eyed peas for New Years lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jgirl: I don't even want to know :-)

    Ladybug: I feel you on that one.

    Hersandhers: LOL, I am. Every year I didn't go to watch night service was a heck of a year. This year I had my buttocks in church!

    Glennisha: Yep, black eye peas for luck. I hope you ate some. I had a good heaping. Well I guess it doesn't matter if you didn't know. LOL.

    ReplyDelete